Sunday, June 27, 2010

give me freedom, give me fire


another universal subject...the world cup!

when i was in darjeeling, i noticed the italian flag hanging everywhere and it made me curious. i asked someone about it and they said that it was because the world cup was about to begin and italy was the favored team for many people in the area. the world cup automatically gives me something to talk with people about. and people love it when i tell them that i used to play (even though that was many, many moons ago). i have to say though...the world cup really gets me pumped up about soccer again. i don't really enjoy watching sports on television but whenever i see part of a game i am amazed and thrilled. i also love to see how excited the fans are...it brings out so much energy and creates such a fun atmosphere to be a part of. in addition, i love the theme song..."wavin flag" by K'naan. melanie happen to put on the (wonderful) summer mix that she made me before i left. for me, it is the theme of this summer.

also, i realized that i was abroad the last time a world cup competition was played (it happens every 4 years). last time i was in ireland and i remember taking photos in dublin of people spilling out of bars and into the streets.....everyone was trying to cram in to see the game on the television. i like the idea that this could be a tradition for me. or maybe it could be some sort of freelance job....travel around the world making sure that people are celebrating the world cup with ultimate enthusiasm and documenting it with photos as i go!

all of this world cup fever has given me 2 new goals to commit myself to....
1. start playing soccer again...even just a pick-up game every now and then
2. keep the tradition alive....watch the world cup in a different country every time it is played!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'll play soccer with you anytime! I'm probably not as good as you, but who cares! Miss you!!

Melanie said...

What a thrill to see how the whole world loves to watch The Beautiful Game! Some things are truly universal. Just like you Miss Jugan!